For those who've just joined us, on Friday I set this lyrics challenge.
- 'We had a quarrel, I was untrue on the night he died.'
- 'Up to heaven her soul ascended, all the church bells they did ring.'
- 'He didn't say much, kinda quiet and shy.'
- 'And with her head upon his shoulder, his young and lovely fiancée.'
- 'They told me he was bad, but I knew he was sad.'
- 'In the moonlight he could see her blowing kisses 'cross the waves.'
- 'I'll have another piece of apple pie, you know it don't seem right.'
- 'He wanted to give her everything: flowers, presents, but most of all a wedding ring.'
- 'On a weekend pass I wouldn't have had time to get home and marry that baby of mine.'
- 'They left him lyin' in a pool of blood, and laughed about it all the way home.'
- In Terry by Twinkle, Terry dies by motorcycle crash.
- In Lily the Pink by the Scaffold, Lily the Pink dies by drink.
- In Big John by Jimmy Dean, Big John dies by mining accident.
- In Billy Don't Be A Hero by Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods, Billy dies by being a hero.
- In Leader of the Pack by the Shangri-Las, Jimmy dies by motorcycle crash.
- In Running Bear by Johnny Preston, Running Bear and Little White Dove die by drowning.
- In Ode To Billie Joe by Bobbie Gentry, Billy Joe McAllister dies by suicide [jumping off the Tallahatchie Bridge].
- In Tell Laura I Love Her by Ray Peterson, Tommy dies by car crash.
- In Ebony Eyes by the Everly Brothers, Ebony Eyes dies by plane crash.
- In The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde by Georgie Fame, Bonnie and Clyde die by a half a dozen carbines.
Why there isn't a compilation album of these things beats me. (There is a book, and a cute website.)
Final scores out of a possible 40:
cybersofa: 35 (marked very strictly)
klepsydra: 15 (gets a five-point Brucie Bonus for sending me an MP3 of Dead Man's Curve)
Honourable mention to Aztec for the link to Hello, This Is Joanie.
Thanks for playing, see you next time.