At last night's karate class, Sensei asked if I would care to come along early next week and help him with the Kids' Club, an hour-long class that runs before the evening adult class. This would make me a sempai, or assistant teacher.
- I like kids. I really do.
- I have thought about training as a Latin teacher some day, and this would be a good way to test the waters.
- I'm honoured to be asked, and thought of as someone reliable.
- CV points! "And in my spare time, I teach karate to the youngsters of SE13."
- Yes, right now, keeping busy and keeping out of the house.
- I like kids, but they freak me out.
- I have absolutely no authoritah, and they will laugh at me when I try to keep order.
- It's another hour out of my too little spare time.
- If there's one thing I don't want, it's to become a sensei myself, and this may be the start of a slippery slope. I love karate, but it's only a hobby and I have others. I don't want it to take over my life.
- Sometimes I resent being thought of as reliable all the damn time.
I'll give it a bash; it's certainly going to be Experience. I suspect that Sensei is still reading my journal and it's no coincidence he asked me to help out at this time, so...thank you.